Outdated browser!
Your current browser is out of date and might not be able to display this website correctly. Please update your browser. Or click below to continue using the site.
Update browser

Visa and permit requirements

Once you receive a confirmation letter, you can apply for a visa and arrange insurance. We require your arrival details so we can arrange an airport transfer and organise accommodation, if required.

Immigration New Zealand is the government department responsible for issuing visas and permits to enter New Zealand.

For more information on student and visitor visa applications and checklists for your country, visit the website.

Student visa

To get a student visa, students must be enrolled in an approved course at an accredited New Zealand educational institution. Applications must include:

  • Recent passport-sized photograph
  • Proof of payment of non-refundable application fee
  • Offer of place from an educational institution, stating course name, minimum completion time and course fee or exemption (e.g. due to scholarship)
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover living costs (currently $1,250 per month)
  • Copy of return air ticket, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one
  • Copy of student passport, valid for at least three months after planned date of departure from New Zealand
  • Financial documents and educational certificates
  • Evidence of medical, travel and contents insurance policies

To apply online, click here.

Medical and police checks

For courses longer than six months, please provide an X-ray certificate less than three months old. Students aged 17 or over who intend to stay in New Zealand for 24 months or longer need a police vetting certificate from their home country.

Extending or changing your study plans?

If you begin studying, then find you want to make changes, transfer courses or study for longer, we can help you make changes to your visa. Our UP International College campuses (345 Queen St in Auckland, and Railway Station Building in Wellington) both offer visa support services.

To learn more, visit the Immigration New Zealand website